The Historical Record
Micklegate Bar is a 12th century Norman arched gate and rebuilt in the late-12th or early-13th century. In the early 14th century, the three-storied structure was added, which allowed for the inclusion of the portcullis. The outward façade seen today dates from the 14th-century renovations. It was at this stage that the Bar also received its barbican (now vanished), a walled but roofless space in front of the Bar, with walkways on top of its walls.
The Micklegate side of the Bar was rebuilt in timber and plaster (probably in 1585-86) along the same lines as the structure surviving at Walmgate Bar, which it resembled until 1827. An arched passage, piercing the rampart, was built on the north side of the Bar in 1753; one on the south side followed in 1827. A double arch was installed on the north side in 1863. The barbican, although in disrepair for many years, remained in place until the early nineteenth century. The last major restoration work took place in 1952 and the stone figures on top of the bar date from that restoration. In 1968, the west turret was dismantled and completely rebuilt.